POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. (from the Devil’s Dictionary)
The entire school speech controversy and constant accusations of racism have made Lady Libertas examine her motives in disagreeing so vehemently with President Obama. Could it be that the election of the first black President of the United States has caused the release of some previously latent racism cell in Lady Libertas’ brain? Was my high esteem for Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell simply a red herring while I waited to unleash my ignorant color-directed politics at just Barack Obama? Am I mistrustful of Obama speaking unmonitored to my child because he is…GASP…half BLACK?
NO. The reason that I do not trust the President of the United States is because Barack Obama is a liar. He promised Hope and Change and I see nothing but broken promises and a country divided. Frothing at the Mouth Libs who accuse me of racism will get no traction. I celebrate the melting pot of America and have spent 12 years instilling the importance of tolerance and diversity in my son. Nor will those meaningless accusations stop me in my tracks as I am simply dismissing them as Alinsky style tactics to divert me from my arguments.
Lady Libertas likes facts! Cold and hard ones. I like verified sources. And in the case of Barack Obama, I like his words. The words that have fallen right out of his very own mouth. And I like to match those words with reality, because frequently they are divergent. Since our Fearless Leader Obama has continued his Presidency in campaign mode, we are not at a loss to find out what he has said or thinks. Occasionally, though, we are flummoxed by the lack of the promised transparency in his Administration.
SO, here we have Obama’s own words…on Ethics. And Obama’s own actions…on Ethics. Let’s see how they match up:
Obama on Ethics from http://www.barackobama.com:
- Obama and Biden will create a centralized Internet database of lobbying reports, ethics records, and campaign finance filings.
- Obama and Biden will fight for an independent watchdog agency to oversee the investigation of congressional ethics violations.
- No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration.
- From the White House website: “One of President Obama’s first official acts upon taking office was to sign the ethics Executive Order. The Order establishes some of the toughest ethics rules ever imposed on executive branch appointees. It has been widely praised by commentators and leading good government advocates for the hard line it takes on lobbyists and others riding the revolving door between government service and the private sector in order to achieve personal gain at the expense of the public interest.”
- Make no mistake: We need to end an era in Washington where accountability has been absent, oversight has been overlooked, your tax dollars have been turned over to wealthy CEOs and the well-connected corporations,” Obama said at an Oct. 1, 2008 campaign stop in Wisconsin. “You need leadership you can trust to work for you, not for the special interests who have had their thumb on the scale. And together, we will tell Washington, and their lobbyists, that their days of setting the agenda are over. They have not funded my campaign. You have. They will not run my White House. You’ll help me run my White House.”
The centralized Internet database has not surfaced to date – of course, they could be searching for a database large enough to handle the above or, possibly, they are still waiting for the $18 million dollar website to be built for them to explain where our money goes. FAIL.
Considering the multiple ethics violations that have come to light since Obama has taken office – Can you say Charlie Rangel? – Lady Libertas must assume that this will only be implemented when a Republican has a violation. And since this does not extend past Congress to many of his potential and sitting Cabinet members, those violations have been passed over as well. Which is why we have a Secretary of the Treasury that is a tax cheat. FAIL.
By February 3, Obama had appointed 17 lobbyists to his Administration. (See List from Hot Air here). In August, two more Ethics Waivers were issued for two attorneys. (See Politico Story here). In March, more Ethics Waivers to allow MORE lobbyists into the White House. (See story on White House Blog). Right before the holiday weekend, the White House announced another 10 Ethics Waivers that it would be issuing – for Administration movers and shakers like Attorney General Holder and Valerie Jarrett. (See list from ABC’s Jake Tapper here). Of course, the Obama administration has provided themselves an additional loophole to avoid transparency and these are called recusals. The recusals have not been made public as have the waivers which means that if the appointed lobbyist simply recuses themself from a meeting, no ethics waiver is needed. Politifact has rated this as a broken campaign promise (See Politifact story here with sources) and Lady Libertas must agree – FAIL. Despite protestations and promises made by Obama, this Administration is lousy with Lobbyists and Special Interests.
OBAMA on Promulgation of Czars
“The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all. And that’s what I intend to reverse when I’m president of the United States.” — Sen. Barack Obama, March 31, 2008
OOPS! Another mixed message or just another lie? He is referring to the Czars of which there are 50+ positions (See Lady Libertas’ Post on Czars with List). Many of these Czars have radical ideals and pasts which can be discovered with no intensive vetting other than Google. And yet, many vital positions still have not been filled: No Obama appointee is running the Transportation Security Administration, the Customs and Border Protection agency, the Drug Enforcement Administration or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Obama still does not have an intelligence chief at the Department of Homeland Security, nor a top civilian in charge of military readiness at the Pentagon. He still has a vacancy rate of more than 50% and several appointees have already left before the first round is over. Reversal of what he criticized George Bush for so openly? FAIL.
We are roaring into Month Eight of Hope and Change and the display of proud Americans standing up and letting government know that we will be SILENT NO MORE has given me more hope than the bitter lies of Obama as he shoves his Socialist agenda down our throats.
“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”